September 27, 2011

This post has been rummaging around in my head ever since the hike and I guess I just haven't been able to fully express in words how I feel about it. As I was hiking, I realized a big, huge thing about myself that I consider a flaw but also something I feel all women deal with every day; I compare myself to any and almost all women. I guarantee any woman reading this right now will agree that not only do they do the same thing themselves, but they do it almost every day. If you are a woman reading this and haven't ever compared yourself to another woman, then you are crazy and probably deserve some sort of gold medal.

What is is about we as women that makes us compare our bodies, our hair, our nails, our clothes, our makeup, our tans with other women? Why can't we be happy with who we are right at that moment? I, of course don't know the answers here but I think a good look inside reveals that we are all a little bit insecure about something.

I strive to be confident in myself every day but I'll admit that I have flaws. My teeth aren't perfect, my legs are short, my tummy is soft, and my hair has split ends BUT! who is perfect? I really really hate that I compare my legs, my stomach, my arms, to anyone. These are my legs and those are your legs and that's great! Right? YES.

This process has really helped me gaze inward and really see who I am and accept it. I'm tired of looking at others and comparing and wishing. I've done if for far too long, possibly my whole life. It's bad mojo. And it's dumb. It's a constant struggle and I'm trying my hardest to quit looking at others and realize my own flaws and shortcomings are beautiful.

This ain't no easy process and I have to catch myself every day from doing it but it's worth it.
I hope that we can all realize our worth and value the worth of others and celebrate how great we all are! :)


I. LOVE. THIS.


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Amen to that Linds!! It is very hard not to compare. We all do it subconsciously, i think. Good words of wisdom.

PS I don't think I've ever commented on your work out posts, so- GOOD JOB! Seriously. I am so proud and impressed! I really need to what you're doing. But it's so hard. I could barely run a mile and half yesterday... how do you do it? Also, Biggest Loser is SO motivational. I LOVE that show!! I wish you were here with me so we could work out together.

Tyler and Callie said...

haha I loved reading this Lindsey for a few reasons. #1- because I totally am the same exact way and #2 because I could just hear your voice saying all of this. It made me miss you! I hope everything is going good...thanks for making me feel like I am not the only one who compares and for giving me inspiration to quit it:)