January 14, 2011

Ortho-Nooo!


Well I've mentioned it before. Yep, the braces thing. I had my orthodontic consult this week and it's official, I need braces. Not only braces but surgery too. But before we get ahead of ourselves, this is the story.

I never had braces. Hold your applause. My teeth grew in correctly and a dentally-minded person would agree that is pretty rare. So from anyone's perspective, my teeth look pretty dec. (that's short for decent, trying to stay hip) I always thought to myself and especially in hygiene school, 'wow, I got pretty lucky! I totally got to miss the boat on the whole braces thing, YA!' (high fiving air) But then.....I started working.

To say working at a dentist office can be stressful at times could be taken as a slight understatement. Any of my hygiene friends now reading this will completely understand when I say that at times it can be a little demanding trying to stay on schedule while keeping your patients happy, constantly telling them to floss, and finding time to not only sterilize and sharpen your instruments but keep your room clean, write in charts, and help out around the office. Whew!

I noticed that while I was cleaning teeth I would be biting down really hard, also known as clenching and I thought 'hey linds, stop that. you're clenching and oh great see now your jaw hurts, way to go.' After about a month of this, I told my boss and he decided to check out my jaw. He said, 'you've been grinding on your back teeth for a while now, have you noticed?'
Me 'Um....no.' So he made me a night guard to see if that would stop the pain. Nope. I kept having muscle pain which would turn into jaw pain which then turned into headaches which then turned into massive consumption of Ibuprofen.

So my boss and I talked. He told me I had some jaw issues and that could be the problem. He also told me I'm getting slight degeneration in my right TMJ. He also told me I'm going to have to get braces. Braces? BRACES? Me: Um NO. No No No. I'm 22 and not married and I don't want to stay un-married forever. Please. No. What about Invisalign? My Boss: Invisalign corrects crooked teeth, not jaw problems. Braces fix jaw problems. Go see the orthodontist.
Me: Grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble......

So I put it off for 2 months. And finally went in and talked to my orthodontist.
I walked in and there were children and teenagers in the waiting room. Awesome. I pretended like I was there for an interview but then when the assistant came and got me I felt judged, probably just in my head but whatever. They took pictures and then he came in, did a really cool exam with measuring gadgets I've never seen, then sat me down....

Him: Okay Linds, here's the deal you're upper and lower jaws arent lined up, (course he told me this in more dental terms but I'm changing it a little so it's understandable) you're lower jaw is off to the right by a couple millimeters making it so your back teeth aren't on top of each other. (this is known as crossbite) If you look closely you'll see your lower jaw is slightly off to the right in your picture. Have you ever noticed that?
Me: NO but now I'm always going to, thanks Doc.
Normal bite



Crossbite
Him: Now this isn't really too much of a concern but down the road it could cause some serious jaw problems. You also have Class 3 Occlusion (which is letter D but mind you not that advanced) which in the long run will cause you joint problems.

Me: Great. So that means....
Him: Okay here's the best option for you. Surgery on your palate (roof of the mouth) to make more room for you're teeth. (Basically they break it open and put an expander in, this helps guide my two jaws correctly on top of each other) then braces for 24 months.

Me: 2 years????? I'll be 25 when they are taken off!
Him: Ya, you'll only be 25....and the front 6 brackets will be white porcelain (which truthfully he showed me and you really can't even tell)
Me: I'll think on it.

So I'm thinking on it. If I do it, I'm waiting till maybe the fall. I gotta work myself up to having the roof of my mouth broken open and brace face for 2 years. I'll be cute in braces right guys?

6 comments:

Annie Jarman said...

I totally have crossbite. Guess I better get into the dentist. We could do braces together, and lets be honest, a 30 year old with braces is way worse than a 23 year old, right?

Rachel said...

Just do it now! If you start now, you'll get them off sooner vs if you start in 6 months. No need to put off the inevitable. UNLESSSSSS . . . you are waiting until AFTER somethin somthin :) Then that's okay.

Rachel said...

ps I had an expander when I was in 4th grade! I felt really cool.

Rachel said...

OH, and, you will look hot with braces. You look hot with anything. And I absolutely love your mug shot.
Okay I'm done now.
(Sorry for all of the after comments!)

Clark and Kristen Daniels said...

GIRL....if ANYONE can rock braces YOU CAN!!! I am thinking of getting them too. We can be twinners. Just do it, you soooo won't regret it in the long run! Besides, if a guy doesn't like you because of braces, then he probably isn't worth the time anyway!

Laurie said...

Your big bro- Kirk has this and hasn't had any problems (so far). your cutie pie nephew-Dekker has this and I had the pendulum put in and he is out of it and doing great. Pendulum=expander (I'm not sure what lingo is used now.