
So I read Pride and Prejudice. It was one of my first goals as a post-graduate to read and conquer this book. Here are some of my thoughts I kept while reading it:
- Honestly, if I hadn't seen the movies so many times, methinks I may or may not really know what's actually going on.
- Jane Austen was a wizard with words, circumspection, supposition, and why are people agreeable and handsome? I'm just saying, i very much agree....to it.
- Right now, I hate Mr. Darcy even though I know the ending. She is so good.
- I sense brief similarities between me and Elizabeth like how she's been "in society" for many years and still not married....I feel you Lizzie.
- Yes, i did just speak to Elizabeth Bennet directly.
- "I never saw a more promising inclination. He was growing quite inattentive to other people, and wholly engrossed by her. Could there be finer symptoms? Is not general incivility the very essence of love?" Oh my gosh, I most heartedly agree!
- I don't really get the whole staying at another person's house for months at a time. Didn't they have things to do? Because thank heaven's my mom didn't ship me off to my "cousin's" for 3 months.
- I don't know how much 30,000 pounds is but I'm pretty sure it's a lot.
- Pg. 161. My favorite page of the book....."In vain have I struggled. I will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you." Seriously? :)
- How do people become governesses and ladyships of certain estates? I was just wondering that...
- Profligate. Recklessly extravagant or wasteful in use. Profligate. Just in case you ever came across that word felt confused then sad like I did.
- When's Elizabeth's sister went off and married a total d-bag, I love Elizabeth's remarks to her sister, "I thank you for your share of the favour but I do not particularly like your way of getting husbands.."
- " There is nothing so bad as parting with one's friends, one seems so forlorn without them" Ya, I feel that one lately....
- Did cousins really marry each other? I don't understand that. If your mother had you, and your aunt had a son....and then you both were destined to be married..isn't that like, grounds for slight retardation and illegal in almost 50 states?
- I feel the ending was anti-climactic. I wanted him to profess his unending love to her one more time. I would say the movie ending is a bit better. "Bewitched me body and soul"!! C'mon that's classic.
- Overall, I loved it. I will read it again and again and love it each time. Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet are beautiful characters. So excuse me, while I go have dreams of my estate and how many carriages I'll have in my possession, and who I fancy a visit from for the next ball and...
2 comments:
I read that book a long time ago and have seen the movie hundreds of times, but your post alone has convinced me to read it once again. Guess it will go on the list of all the other books I want to read now that we aren't in school anymore!
You are so cute! You must go and read "Jane Eyre" next. There is a "declaration of love" scene in that book that is exquisite!
And people married cousins (and siblings) back then to keep the family fortune (lands, money, business) in the family. And it wasn't frowned upon as it is now. Guess they didn't know any better.
Love you!
Post a Comment